Sunday, October 9, 2011

Wow....Two Years

So, I've decided to post a new blog. In doing so, I realized that my last post was over two years ago! That's not ok.

Many things have changed in my life over the past two years. Honestly, it's hard to remember what was happening in my life two years ago. Most recently, I got out of a terrible, terrible relationship, and I started grad school! Along with grad school I started an internship at UNITY of Greater New Orleans assisting with their programs to house the homeless individuals of New Orleans. So far it has been an amazing experience, often times overwhelming in the sense of how many people in this city are in need of help and also the information overload about how non-profits work. It's amazing how they are just completely dependent upon funding and then you have to try to explain this to everyone that calls for assistance.

The whole school aspect has been a challenge. It's extremely difficult to be out of school for 3 years and then go back and try to write papers and have good study habits. I'll be honest, I haven't been very good at it so far, but I think things are turning around. It's just so great to be surrounded by people that are passionate about the same things you are.

Anyway, I'd like to talk about my dating life because I think it's the most fascinating concept. Dating is such an awkward, unpredictable experience. I have a love hate relationship with dating. It can be fun and exciting meeting new people and having guys pay for your drinks and stuff. It can also be extremely uncomfortable to attempt to find topics of conversation or go about that first kiss thing. So anyway, my ex-boyfriend and I broke up a little over three months ago. About 5 days after that I banged this guy I've known for about two years. I just had this insatiable urge to have sex with someone else just to know that I could do it. I know that logic doesn't really make sense, but whatever. So it took me about 2 months to really put myself out there and start talking to guys again. I was just trying to really stay focused on school and not let other things distract me.

So anyway, my first "date" post relationship was with "Greg". I typically date black men and I've been trying to switch it up so this was the first white guy I had talked to in awhile. We met up for drinks and he proceeded to accuse me of not knowing the "real New Orleans" when I told him my view on the race relations here. Please, to anyone out there, do NOT tell me that the race relations in New Orleans are better than most places. I will get irritated. Just look at the almost entirely segregated educational system in this city and then tell me race relations are good. Fuck off. After this conversation things were fine. We were hitting it off, having a good time. Then it's about time to go home. We stop in a park and he starts making out with me. I was all about it. I was drunk and horny. Then he tries to convince me to have sex. Really dude?? Maybe when I was 19. I went home, we never hung out again.

My second date was with "Stanley". I met him at a bar in Mid-City and we knew a bunch of the same people because he plays kickball with my co-workers. So, we set a date. He took me out to dinner, bought drinks after, then took me back to his house to hang out. We watched a documentary on midgets and a few episodes of The Office. As the night was winding down and it was about time for me to go home, he awkwardly asked if I wanted to make out? Um, no, that's awkward. I laughed, told him I was an awkward person and then he took me home. I was determined to hang out again. We hung out a week later when he invited to his place to watch football. I get there and it's him and another couple. Awkward fucking city. They finally leave and it's still awkward. I start thinking it's me because I'm just totally tired and out of it. So as I leave for the night he tells me he'll be at this bar for the Saints game and if I want a break from studying that's where he'll be. The next day I go to this bar to meet up with him. I get kinda drunk and am talking and being myself. He's still awkward. This is the moment I realize it's him NOT me. When I go to leave I say, "so....I'm having a really hard time reading you, I can't tell if you're interested". He responds with....."well I'm kind of interested.....I like hanging out....I'd like to keep hanging out". I laugh. And we never talk again.

I'm supposed to hang out with another guy tonight. I'll tell you all about it. Hopefully, for entertainments sake, it's just as awkward as the previous story. God knows I love awkward situations. By the use of the word awkward in this blog it's obvious it's the story of my fucking life.

P.S. it's funny to me that I COMPLETELY forgot about this guy I had sex with. It was in the beginning of September. He was 21, I met him in a Baton Rouge bar, we hung out a few times. He was a nice guy, just smoked way too much.
Sorry for the looooooonng blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment